- The UNHCR has expressed growing concern about Australian immigration policy following the leaked Trump-Turnbull transcript and the death of asylum seeker Hamed Shamshiripour on Manus Island.
- The New York Times’ Roger Cohen has criticised Australia's 'desperate refugee obstinacy'.
- Drawing on an array of innovative solutions to mass displacement, the University of Oxford’s Robin Cohen proposes the transnational polity of ‘Refugia’.
- The Parliamentary Library of Australia has published a quick guide to the new Home Affairs portfolio.
- The Law Council of Australia has published consultation papers on access to justice issues experienced by asylum seekers, people who have been trafficked and exploited and recent arrivals to Australia in Australia. The Council is currently seeking formal submissions and real stories from people affected. Click here to get involved.
- The Migration Policy Institute’s Julia Gelatt summarises the RAISE (Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment) Act. The Council on Foreign Relations’ Edward Alden argues that the RAISE Act won’t raise wages for Americans.
- The Global Detention Project and Migrant-Rights.org have made a joint submission to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination drawing attention to immigration detention practices impacting non-citizen refugees, trafficking victims and migrant workers in the UAE.
- A Nepalese parliamentary report has implicated airline company staff, immigration and security officials in human trafficking operations to the Gulf.
Migration and border policy links: Trump-Turnbull transcript, trafficking in the Gulf and more
This weeks links include the death of an asylum seeker on Manus Island, the RAISE act, and refugees, migration and trafficking in the Gulf.
What Trump has done right